Carbs have been given a bad reputation by the diet industry, and it’s unfortunate because they’re so important for long-term, overall wellness.
There are two big issues with the way we consume carbs:
1) The sources most people want to eat are highly processed fake foods.
2) People have trained their bodies to run entirely off those sources, so they feel unsatisfied, hungry, and lackluster.
Carbohydrates are a quick-burning calorie that don’t provide energy for long. When most meals/snacks are processed carb-based, you end up hungry soon after or, even worse, HANGRY. Feeling hangry is a sign of poor blood sugar regulation which is not a good thing! Popular diets like Paleo and Keto are part of the movement to eat more fat, a slow-digesting calorie that leaves you feeling fuller for longer. The benefits of fat don’t make carbs any less valuable!
Here are just a few roles carbs play for us:
• source of quick-burning energy
• provide essential micronutrients (vitamins and minerals)
• support regular bowel movements (oh, hey there fiber)
Healthy carbohydrate sources:
• sprouted grains